Feeling a little lost in the crowd? Need a little juice to revive your flagging career? Â Here are ten commandments to jump-start your engine:
1. Be awesome! Remind yourself of how terrific you are. And while you’re at it, remind other people from time to time. Â If you’re not feeling it, make a list of your accomplishments and read it every day.Â You’re proud of your accomplishments, aren’t you? You don’t need to boast, but from time to time, you can mention your achievements.Â Remember, what you project is what people believe and remember.
2. Smile. Often. Nod to strangers in the hallways. This projects confidence and well-being.
3. Help someone. There’s no better way to keep your skills sharp and get the added perk of building a band of loyal supporters. Go back and re-read Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a TimeÂ if you’ve forgotten the value of helping others and looking for nothing in return.
4. Learn something new. What’s going on in your industry? Are you keeping up with trends? Stay fresh.
5. Attend a seminar or workshop. You don’t even have to leave your desk to access a webinar. Training keeps your skills sharp and broadens your perspective.
6. Talk to strangers. Network. Find out what other people in your organization are doing. Find out what other people in your industry find exciting. Share what excites you, too.
7. Update your look. When was the last time you went through your wardrobe? Does everything fit properly? Is everything neat, clean, and in good repair? You can create a whole new image with a few inexpensive changes. Someone like Susan Sommers can teach you how to shop your own closet. You can even have a swap party with your friends to get a couple of fresh looks for nothing.
8. Get organized. Cleaning out your files not only creates more space but often leads to treasures that you’ve stashed away to read later.
9. Mentor someone. Helping someone else move up the career ladder has many benefits for you. It makes you more visible. It earns you yet another loyal follower. It also helps you revisit and renew your own skills. Finally, it helps build your reputation as a star maker.Â
10. Speak up! Ask for what you want. Your boss isn’t a mind reader. If you want something more, or something different, Â be sure someone knows!